Signs of Glaucoma
Here at Wichita Optometry, we provide nothing but excellence when it comes to caring for our patient's vision problems. We are in Wichita, and provide a wide range of eye services for those in need, including people with glaucoma. Glaucoma affects the optic nerve of the eyes. If you do not get treatment for it, it can lead to permanent vision loss. That is why it is critical to look out for the early warning signs associated with this eye disease and maintain regular eye checkups with an optometrist.
Early Warning Signs
- Loss of Side or Peripheral Vision: This is usually one of the first signs that patients tend to notice
- Seeing Halos Around Lights-You may either be sensitive to light or see rainbow-colored circles around lights
- Loss of Vision- It may happen suddenly
- Eye Redness- May be accompanied by pain
- Nausea or Vomiting- May accompany severe eye pain
- Tunnel Vision-Vision starts to decrease around your visual field
Optic nerve damage can occur rather quickly, depending on which type of eye disease you have. Symptoms can also vary. Some of these early signs are associated with acute angle-closure or open-angle. Acute angle-closure tends to be the most dangerous out of the two based on its tendency to progress more rapidly.
The type of treatment you will receive is determined by the severity of your condition and how long you have had it. Our optometrists may first use eye drops or oral medication to decrease the pressure within the eye. If these don't work, we will suggest surgery to correct the problem.
Visit Us to See If You Have Glaucoma
If you live in the Wichita area and need an eye exam, please feel free to contact us to schedule an appointment at our office, Wichita Optometry. You can also get more information on the services offered by giving us a call at 316-942-7496. We can ensure that you are in good hands.